
In case there was any doubt about it, over the past few days Fiona has definitely been manifesting a stong mind of her own. In particular, she has decided to declare her independence in the realm of eating. Now, up until earlier this week, I would have said that Fiona had demonstrated a profound giftedness in eating. Despite being a bit of a peanut, she was pounding down entire bananas, avocados, and two jars of baby food at each feeding. Imagine my surprise, then, when on Monday she began boycotting everything I offered her.
I'll spare you all the details, but a little trial and error proved the following:
1. Fiona wanted to feed herself. While in theory this is a great thing, the reality is that Fiona's fine motor skills do not yet make it possible for her to feed herself -- short of grabbing the spoon and flinging food around, or grabbing the bowl and flinging more food around.
2. If forced to accept food off of a spoon, it had better be some sort of fruit.
Needless to say, mealtimes have become interesting. I try to divert Fiona with finger foods while alternately attempting to shovel spoonfulls of food into her mouth -- all the while smiling broadly and keeping upbeat so that I don't give her a food complex. See above for a photo of Fiona eating Cheerios (a non-fruit favorite) with her grandfather.
No comments:
Post a Comment