Saturday, June 21, 2008

Here, fishy fishy fishy!



Friday afternoon was pretty exciting for Fiona. She rode the Metro to downtown DC, where we met Boom after work for a trip to the National Aquarium. Fiona took the Metro in stride. She was a little cynical. “Mom," she said with her eyes, “what’s up with the carpeting?”

The Aquarium was another story entirely – she LOVED it. This was not a surprise to us, since Fiona has already visited the Monterey Bay Aquarium and had a similar reaction (joy convulsions). However, the Monterey Bay Aquarium costs $25 per person and takes an entire day to see. The National Aquarium, in contrast, costs $5 per person and we saw the whole thing in 30 minutes. Although it’s apparently improved since the days when, according to my dad, it was "a government office with some fish in it,” it is essentially a basement (the basement of the Commerce Department, to be specific) with some fish tanks stuck in the walls. But the beauty of it is, Fiona doesn’t care. Stick her in front of some fish swimming in circles and she’s in heaven. (And that’s all good and warm and fuzzy, and I don’t want to get too political or anything, but maybe with all the things our government spends money on, they should consider shelling out a little for a better National Aquarium. I mean, seriously.)

1 comment:

Amanda Whitehead said...

I stare wistfully out our kitchen window at the place Fiona's stroller is usually parked and forlornly await her return. I can't believe I am missing all these priceless new expressions and noises! Also, Faith, you are just an outstanding narrator. Keep it coming! I am addicted!